Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dog Hair Everywhere


It's Sunday morning and my yellow lab Milli is not letting me write this post.  She wants her walk. She's been a part of our family for over four years.  Milli, is how I got started in Shelter Animal Rescue.  It was when  my husband and I stepped into Chicago's Animal Care and Control that I realized what a problem pet overpopulation is in our country.  The problem is due to many factors.  Those factors are puppy mills which need to be eliminated and irresponsible pet owners who don't spay and neuter their pets.  Or they get an animal because they think it's "cute" only to realize that a pet is a responsibility in terms of care, feeding, training, walking, playing and medical attention and they don't want to do the work.  Duh....didn't do the research before making the commitment. It's a huge problem!

Even doing the research,  some things just get missed.  I had no idea how much dog hair would get all over everything until I got a Labrador at the dog pound. It's one of the best places to get a pet.   Labs are the number one dog in popularity in the USA but no one tells you about the dog hair.  I learned the hard way when my housekeeper came up to me one day soon after we got Milli and said she was increasing her charges for cleaning my house because it was "too dirty"  with dog hair.  Besides being embarassed,  I looked around and realized that she was right. Dog hair everywhere.  Well, the first thing I did as any normal respecting woman with a lab might do after her housekeeper embarasses her  I got rid of the housekeeper.  Second thing I did was I embarked on vacuuming and cleaning more often. My housekeeper didn't think I could rise to the occasion and neither did my husband, that's another story.  In the meantime, I asked around and discovered the Furminator . Wish I had invented the thing.  I didn't. I don't know why every person who gets a dog doesn't automatically get one of these handed to them at the shelter.  Maybe a dog manual package would help pets not get dumped.  The manual would include food, leash, Furminator! 

I've got to run....Milli is whining for her walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment